Dental Tourism



Phra Nakorn

- Khon Masked Dance at Sala Chalermkrung Theatre

Khon is Thailand's classical masked dance that is regarded as one of the most refined of performing arts. It was originally limited to the royal court. Performances are extremely expensive to produce, requiring lavish costumes, elaborate masks and headgear, and stage accessories that require highly skilled craftsmen to create. The scenes performed in the traditional Khon are taken from the Ramakien, a series of significant episodes in Thai literature based on the Indian epic of classical mythology the Ramayana that greatly influenced the literature of almost all nations in Southeast Asia.

Khon at Sala Chalermkrung is performed every Friday and Saturday at 8.30 pm.  Tickets cost 1,000 baht and 1,200 baht.  Call Sala Chalermkrung at Tel: 0 2224 4499 or visit  or Thaiticketmaster at Tel: 0 2262 3456 or visit for reservation. For more information about the performance and Sala Challermkrung visit 

 Bang Lamphu
One of the oldest parts of town.
Bang Lamphu district has become famous over recent years due to the emergence of Khao San Road as the popular destination for the worlds young budget travellers. The area has an interesting history as it is located in the Rattanakosin Island area.

It gets its name from the lamphu trees that used to grow here. This tree has vertical roots and is a favourite gathering spot for fireflies. The canal that makes Bang Lamphu part of Rattanakosin Island was dug during the reign of King Rama I and has had many names including Klong Ong Ang because there used to be a community here making the big earthenware pots called ong.
The first palace was built here by Princess Chakjesda, a relative of King Rama I. Although the palace has now gone, a small part of a wall remains on Phra Sumen Road, opposite the hexagonal-shaped Phra Sumen Fort. This fort is one of the original 13 constructed to defend Bangkok.

Bang Lamphu has been the location of many of the major events in Thailand's recent history. The Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Road has been the rallying point for many political movements. There is a house on Phra Arthit Road, where Pridi Banomyong lived when he established the Seri Thai organization to fight the Japanese occupation during World War II.
Today, Bang Lamphu is an interesting mix of buildings built over a century ago in the colonial style side by side with modern buildings and shop houses. It is well worth a visit to what is possibly Bangkok's first suburb.
Old Bangkok Walking Tour
Siam Soundtrek presently have Mp3 tracks available for 15 sites within Bangkok's historical Rattanakosin Island, including the Giant Swing, Wat Suthat, and the Brahmin Chapels. All these sites are found within walking distance from Khao San Road.
Mp3 tours and maps can be downloaded for free at, or Mp3 players can be rented at the Rim Khob Faa Bookstore next to the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Road.

 Bank of Thailand Museum 
Bank of Thailand Museum is located in the Bang Khun Phrom Palace, one of the splendid historical sites in Bangkok with artistic beauty in architectural designs and decorative arts.  The Palace has a long history tracking back to nearly one hundred years.  It was originally a royal residence of H.R.H. Prince Baripatra Sukhumbhand, a son of H.M. King Chulalongkorn and H.M. Queen Sukhumala Marasri, and was a government office for a period of time until 1945, when it became the office premise of the Bank of Thailand and was renovated to house the Bank of Thailand Museum in 1992.  The opening ceremony of the Museum was graciously presided over by H.M. the King and the Queen on January 9, 1993.

The main objective of the Museum is to preserve Thai currency, one of our important cultural heritages, as well as to stimulate the research and study on the history and evolution of Thai currency.  The exhibitions started from the prehistoric medium of exchange the ancient currency, used in different eras up until the present day.  In addition, it also highlights the roles and responsibilities of the Bank of Thailand, the governors, as well as the history of Bang Khun Phrom Palace and H.R.H. Prince Baripatra Sukhumbhands life. The exhibitions compose of 14 rooms such as:
Ancient Coins Room: The exhibition in this room dated  back to the  prehistoric era when medium of exchange such as shells or beads were used as money  until the introduction of coins, including Funan coins,  Dvaravati coins, Sri Vijaya coins, as well as Lanna and Lanchang money, which had been used before the Kingdom of Thailand was found.

Pot Duang Room displays Pot Duang coins, circulated from Sukhothai period up to the reign of King Rama V of Rattanakosin period, as well as their methods of productions.
Thai Coins Room displays Thai flat coins which were initiated by King Rama III up to the present day.
Thai Banknotes  Room displays the evolution of the Thai paper  money from the first issuance of paper money called Mai in King Rama IV reign through the issuance of banknotes series circulated in the present day, including the commemorative banknotes issued on special  occasions.
Gold and Commemorative Coins Room displays commemorative gold coins, silver coins, nickel coins, gold bond, as well as gold bullions which are used as currency reserves.
Bank of Thailand 60th Anniversary Room displays the history, the roles and responsibilities of the Bank of Thailand as well as the important events of the Bank, in chronology.
Baripatra Memorial Room displays the life, works, activities, and the talents of H.R.H. Prince Baripatra Sukhumbhand.
Admission requirements:
1. Free admission.
2. Please dress respectfully and take off shoes before entering the Bang Khun Phrom Palace Building.
3. Visitors should not touch exhibited items and display cases.
4. Photography is not permitted inside the Museum.
5. Smoking is strictly prohibited.
6. Food and beverages are not allowed in the Museum.
7. Avoid making excessive noise during the visit.

How to visit the Museum
The museum is open for pre-arranged group visitors from 9.30 a.m. 4.00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Please contact the Museum at least one week in advance at  

The Bank of Thailand Museum
273 Samsen Road, Bang Khun Phrom,
Bangkok, 10200
Tel. 0 2283 5286, 0 2283 6723, 0 2283 5265
Fax. 0 2283 5283

 Khao San Road
Where the worlds young travellers meet.
Khao San Road is a favourite crossroads for the young travellers on a budget. It has evolved over the last two decades from just one small hostel providing low-budget accommodation become one of the worlds most well-known destinations. It has been featured in many movies and television documentaries.

During the day, Khao San Road is the scene for back-packers looking for a cheap room while others are arranging transport to their next destination in Thailand or overseas. Some will be just chatting with friends over a cup of coffee or a bowl of noodles.
At night, it turns into a lively thoroughfare lined with street stalls selling cheap clothes, handicrafts, souvenirs and thousands of other items. The lights are on at the many bars where the travellers tell tales of the days adventures and discoveries and the plans for tomorrow. Khao San Road is not just for foreign travellers, many young Thai people like to hang out there, including members of the TV and film production industries.

The location is very convenient for visiting the many tourist attractions on Rattanakosin Island. It is just a 10-minute walk to Sanam Luang and The Grand Palace.

During April when Thais celebrate the Songkran Festival, Khao San Road becomes a fun-filled battleground as everyone, Thais and foreigners indulge in splashing each other with water.
The area is also well-known for the wide variety of inexpensive food. This ranges from spicy Thai Tom Yum Gung soup to the ever-popular banana pancake.

How to get there:
Bus routes 3, 9, 32, 64, 39, 44, 53, 59, 503, 509, 511

 King Rama I the Great Memorial
Built in commemoration of Bangkoks 150th anniversary celebrations in 1932, the monument is situated at the foot of Pathom Boromrachanuson or Rama I the Great Memorial Bridge on the Bangkok side. King Rama I was the first king in the Royal House of Chakri and founder of Bangkok as the capital of the Kingdom of Siam, as Thailand was formerly known. He was born in Ayutthaya, one of Thailand's former capitals, on 20 March, 1736, accessed to the throne on 6 April, 1782, and passed away 27 years later.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

 King Rama III Memorial
The monument was built by the Fine Arts Department in 1990 near the Royal Reception Pavilion in front of Wat Ratchanatdaram on Ratchadamnoen Road. The bronze statue, half larger than life size, is seated on a throne. The surrounding area is decorated with beautiful plants, with the Royal Reception Pavilion and three minor pavilions known as Sala Rai nearby.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

 Maenam Chao Phraya
The Chao Phraya River is the most important waterway in Thailand. Boats of all sizes ply this river ranging from huge container ships that berth at Klong Toey Port to small dugouts. Its most recognized water transporters are the rice barges and the long-tail boats. Then there are cross river ferries and the river express boats serving as water-born buses bringing commuters to the city from as far up-river as Nonthaburi.

A cruise on the Chao Phraya River gives you a new perspective on Bangkok as you pass by the imposing Prangs of Wat Arun, the majestic Grand Palace and the Temple of The Emerald Buddha.

You'll see a different side of commerce as huge lines of rice barges are towed by a small tugboat and other barges carrying cargo as diverse as sand and gravel, even soft drinks and beer.

There are a number of ways you can experience life on the river. You can take a voyage on a luxuriously converted rice barge leaving from Bangkok on a leisurely journey all the way up to the ancient capital at Ayutthaya. There are also purpose-built luxury cruisers making the same trip. Or you can see the river life the same way the locals do by catching a river express boat.

There are converted rice barges and Chinese junks that offer lunch and dinner cruises. The evening dinner cruise can be particularly romantic, sipping fine wine at a candle-lit table.

For those who want a more budget-priced journey, there are small river boats that are available for hire by the hour.

 Monument to the Expeditionary Force
Near a northern corner of Sanam Luang stands a monument to the Thai expeditionary force that fought in the European battlefield during World War I. After war broke out in 1914, Thailand joined the Allied Army to declare war on Germany and sent militia to Europe on 20 June, 1918. Upon their return to Thailand on 21 September, 1919, the ashes of dead veterans were taken to be enshrined here on 24 September, 1919.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

 National Gallery Museum
Situated on Chao Fa Road opposite the National Theatre, the museum exhibits traditional and contemporary works of art created by Thai artists. 

Open : Wed-Sun from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission : 30 baht.
Tel : 0 2281 2224, 0 2282 2639-40

 Pak Khlong Talat
London has its Covent Garden, Paris has Les Halles, Bangkok has Pak Khlong Talat which is the biggest fresh flower market in the city.

The Thai people have a great appreciation for fresh flowers, both for the beauty and the fragrance. This is where those who have time and the florists come to buy their flowers at wholesale prices.

The variety includes roses, daisies and more exotic species such as orchids in every colour and shade imaginable.

Most of the flowers are grown in the neighbouring provinces of Nakhon Prathom, Samut Sakon and Samut Songkram although the best roses come from the cooler climate in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Unfortunately, the main activities at the market take place late at night and in the early morning but there are flower sellers there all day and in the surrounding streets.

How to get there: Chao Phraya River Express to Pak Khlong Talat Pier.
Bus routes 2, 5, 8, 53, 60,73, 512  

  Rommaninat Park
This is a public park built on the old prison grounds on Mahachai Road near Wat Suthat. The Corrections Museum inside the park displays instruments of punishment and evolution of punishment in Thailand.

Open : Park - Daily from 5 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Museum - Thu. - Sat from 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.
Admission : Free  

 Sanam Luang or Thung Phra Men
A vast open ground situated near the northern wall of the Grand Palace and the eastern wall of the former Viceroy Palace or Wang Na. At the time when Bangkok was first established, the ground was a rice field and was sometimes used as a location for a royal crematorium, Phra Men in Thai. The ground was, thus, otherwise called as Thung Phra Men which means the crematorium ground. In considering that the name was inauspicious, King Rama IV had the ground renamed as Thong Sanam Luang, or the Royal Ground, and the rice farming there cancelled. Later, King Rama V had the Wang Nas eastern wall demolished and the area of Sanam Luang enlarged to cover a total of 78 rai as it does nowadays. The place has been used as the crematorium ground for kings, members of the royal family and nobility, in addition, to being a royal sporting ground. The king also had 365 tamarind trees planted around it.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

Santi Chai Prakan Pavilion and Public Park

The Park is on Phra Athit Road on the bank of the Chao Phraya River. It was constructed near Phra Sumen Fort under the cooperation between the Royal Thai Government and the general public to mark the auspicious occasion of the sixth cycle birthday anniversary of His Majesty the King on 5 December, 1999. The spacious area provides a pleasant atmosphere as well as a scenic view of the Chao Phraya River and the Rama VIII Bridge. It is popular among both Thais and foreigners, especially from the nearby Bang Lamphu community.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

 Saranrom Park
Located near the Grand Palace between Rachini and Charoenkrung roads, this park was originally a royal garden in the Saranrom Palace.  At the south end of the park is a marble monument dedicated to HM Queen Sunantha Kumareerat and HRH Prince Kannaporn Phetcharat, who died in a boating accident in the reign of King Rama V.

Open : Daily from 5 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Admission : Free

 The City Pillar Shrine
According to an old Thai tradition, a city pillar had to be built upon the establishment of a new city. King Rama I had the Bangkok city pillar erected near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha on Sunday, 21 April, 1782, with the citys horoscope inside. The original pillar was made of cassia wood known as Chaiyaphruek, measuring 75 cm. in diameter and 27 cm. high. In the reign of King Rama IV, the old dilapidated pillar was replaced by a new one made of the same kind of wood, measuring 270 cm. high and standing on a base of 175 cm. wide, sheltered by a Prang-shaped shrine as it appears today. The shrine also houses images of protective deities including Thepharak, Chaopho Ho Klong, Phra Suea Mueang, Phra Song Mueang, Chaopho Chetakhup and Phra Kan Chai Si.

Open : Daily
Admission : Free

 The Grand Palace
Every visitor to Bangkok should see the magnificent buildings within the Grand Palace compound to get a feeling of the grandeur architectural style.

Since the founding of Bangkok as the Nations capital by King Rama I, The Grand Palace has been the major architectural symbol of The Thai Royal Family. In the present time, The Royal Family resides at Chitralada Palace while The Grand Palace is used for ceremonial purposes.

The main buildings within the Grand Palace compound were built for King Rama V, who was the first Thai King to travel to Europe.

Phra Thinang Chakri Maha Prasat, built in 1877 by King Rama V as his Royal Residence, is the most highly recognized architectural landmark of the Nation. The central Throne Hall, which was formerly used for the reception of foreign envoys, is flanked by reception areas decorated with galleries of portraiture. The central room on the second floor is used as a shrine for the reliquary ashes of Kings Rama IV, Rama V, Rama VI, Rama VII and Rama VIII.

Borom Phiman Mansion was also constructed during the reign of King Rama V. When his son, King Rama VI ascended to the throne, he had it improved for use as his residence. The three succeeding Kings also resided here at one time or another.

The Siwalai Gardens, where the office of The Royal Household Bureau is located, were used for receptions as well as a recreation area for the royal women and children.

Maha Monthien Prasat houses The Audience Hall of Amarin Winitchai where ceremonies of the Court usually take place in front of the throne surmounted by its canopy of nine tiers of white cloth.

How to go there:The most enjoyable route is to take the BTS Skytrain to Taksin Station. From here take a Chao Phraya River Express boat to Tha Chang Wang Luang Pier. It is a short walk from the pier to the entrance to The Grand Palace public entrance.

Opening Hours: Open to the public everyday, except during special Royal Ceremonies, from 8.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.

Admission Fee: Baht 250. This also includes admission to Wat Phra Kaeo, The Royal Thai Decorations & Coins Pavilion in the same compound and to Vimanmek Mansion Museum on Ratchawithi Road. Baht 100. for rental personal audio guide in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese or Mandarin.

Dress Code: Visitors are required to dress appropriately. Thus the following dress - code (applicable to both ladies and gentlemen) is requested:
1. Shorts, mini-skirts, short skirts, tight fitting trousers, as well as tights can not be worn as outer garments.
2. See-through shirts and blouses, as well as culottes or quarter length trousers can not be worn.
3. Sleeveless shirts or vests can not be worn as outer garments.
4. Sandals (without ankle or heel straps) can not be worn.
5. All shirt sleeves, whether long or short, can not be rolled up.
6. Sweat shirts and sweat pants, wind-cheaters, pajamas and fisherman trousers can not be worn. 
Tel : 0 2623 5500 ext.3100, 0 2224 3273
Website : 

 The National Museum
A visit to the National Museum reveals the history of Thailand And how people lived during the different periods. It gives you a view through the windows of the past.

The National Museum, located on the opposite side of Sanam Luang to The Grand Palace, was established in 1887 by King Rama V. The foundation collection was previously stored at The Grand Palace. The original building was formerly the palace of a vice-ruler.

King Rama VII placed it under the administration of the Royal Institute of Literature, Archeology and Fine Arts which has evolved to be the Fine Arts Department.

New buildings were constructed in 1967 and other historical buildings relocated to the museum grounds.

The Buddhaisawan Chapel was built in 1787 to enshrine a revered northern Buddha image called Phra Buddha Si Hing. The interior has exceptional murals, while the building itself is a fine example of Rattanakosin religious architecture.

Tamnak Daeng is another building that has been moved to the Museum. This Red House was originally the residence of an elder sister of King Rama I. Furniture and other items from early Bangkok times.

The National Museum collection encompasses a wide range of religious and secular art found throughout the country. Items from pre-historic times, through the Srivijaya, Dvaravati, Khmer Kingdoms and the Sukhothai, Ayutthaya and Rattanakosin periods of Thai history.

These include Neolithic tools, painted pots and bronze objects unearthed in the northeast. Thai Buddhist art exhibits feature images in stone, bronze and terracotta as well as illustrated scripture books manuscript cabinets and votive plaques.

The Museum also has a large collection of miscellaneous items such as Thai and Chinese ceramics, theatrical costumes, palanquins, weapons and assorted items used in royal households.

Guided tours are given free by volunteers in English and French starting at 9.30 a.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Tours are also given in German on Thursdays and in Japanese on Wednesdays of the first & the third week of each month. Guided tours in some other languages can be arranged.

How to get there: The most enjoyable route is to take the BTS Skytrain to Taksin Station. From here take a Chao Phraya River Express boat to Tha Phrachan Pier. Walk straight from the pier to Sanam Luang Park and turn left past Thammasat University to the museum. By Bus No. 3, 6, 9, 15, 19, 30, 32, 33, 43, 53, 59, 64, 65, 70, 80, 84 Air Condition Bus No. 3, 6, 7, 38, 39, 80, 82, 91 Airport Bus No. A2

Opening hours : Wednesday to Sunday from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Admission fee : 40 baht
Contact : The National Museum Bangkok Na Phrthat Rd., Phra Borommaharachawang Sub-district, Phra Nakorn District, Bangkok 10200
Tel : 0 2224 1333, 0 2224 1370  

 Vimanmek Mansion Museum 
This is the world's largest golden teak building located in the compound of the Dusit Palace on Ratchawithi Road. The three-storey royal mansion has 81 rooms, halls and ante-chambers containing fin de siecle royal memorabilia.   A guided tour in English is provided to visitors.
Other beautiful buildings in the same compound display various items and art objects; for example, H.M. King Bhumibols photography, H.M. Queen Sirikits collection of handicraft masterpieces created by rural people, paraphernalia of rank and portraits, old clocks, ancient cloth, and royal carriages.
Open : Daily from 9.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. Tickets are sold till 3.15 p.m.
Thai dancing shows : Daily at 10.30 a.m. and 2 p.m. 
Admission : 100  baht
Proper attire is required
Tel : 0 2628 6300-9 ext. 5119 - 5121, 0 2281 5455, 0 2281 6880

 Wat Bowon Niwet
This temple is located on Phra Sumen Road in the Bang Lamphu area.  Built in 1829, it is the shrine-hall of Phra Phutthachinnasi, a very beautiful Buddha image which was molded in about 1357.  This is one of the most important temples of Bangkok, whose one-time chief abbot was King Rama IV before he ascended the throne. King Rama IV and King Rama VII, as well as His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej had resided here during their monkshood.

Open : Daily from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2281 2831-3

 Wat Intharawihan
It is an awesome feeling to stand before this Buddha image that reaches to the sky at 32 metres tall.

During the reign of King Rama I he suppressed a rebellion in Laos and brought members of the Lao royal family to settle in this area. One of these was Chao Inthawong, who was a devout Buddhist, helped to restore the local temple which is now Wat Intharawihan.

In 1867, Somdej Phra Buddhachan started the construction of this giant Buddha called Luang Pho To, logs and structural steel were used as alternate abutments. After his death in 1872 construction continued until completion in 1927. This spanned the reigns of King Rama IV to King Rama VII.

Luang Pho To stands 32 metres tall and is 11 metres wide. As it faces east, it is best photographed in morning light.

On two occasions, in 1964 and 1967, Their Majesties The King, The Queen and their children covered this statue of Buddha at the Topknot and forehead with gold leaves.

The Topknot contains relics of The Lord Buddha which were donated by the Government of Sri Lanka and placed there in 1978 by H.R.H The Crown Prince Vachiralongkorn.

For Bangkoks Bi-Centennial Celebrations in 1982, the then Abbot, Phra Khru Woraphattikhun carried out restoration including decoration with 24 K golden mosaics from Italy.

Devotees believe that Luang Pho To can bless everyone with success, particularly if they present the head of a mackerel fish, a boiled egg and a lei of flowers.

How to get there: Bus routes 10, 49
Open daily : 8.30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2628 5550-2

 Wat Mahathat
This old temple was built in the reign of King Rama I. Located on Na Phrathat Road near Thammasat University, the temple houses Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist University, one of the two highest seats of Buddhist learning in Thailand and also offers meditation classes for foreigners.

Open : Daily from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2222 6011;
Meditation Centre Tel : 0 2623 5613, 0 2623 6326

 Wat Pho 
This is possibly the most interesting temple in Thailand as it combines history, medical science and is a center for meditaion and traditional massage training. Its official name is Wat Phrachetuphon Vimon Mangkararam Ratchaworamahawihan, although it is commonly called Wat Po.

Founded during the 16th century, Wat Pho is most famous for the golden reclining Buddha that measues 46 metres and has feet inlaid with mother-of pearl. This is the main attraction that draws visitors to the temple. In more modern times, Wat Pho has gained international recognition as a meditation centre and for the traditional Thai massage that is both practiced and taught here.

Traditionally, temples were the schools as there was no formal education system, with monks providing basic lesson in both spiritual and secular subjects. King Rama III turned Wat Po into a major centre for learning in botany, geography and history.

Bas reliefs around one of the main buildings depict the story of the Ramakian which is the Thai adaption of the Indian Ramayana.

For those interested in traditional Thai medicine, there is a pavilion that serves to both impart knowledge and provide treatment. The walls have marble tablets describing basic anatomy and treatments. In the late afternoon, traditional medicine practitioners are there to dispense herbal mixtures. Nearby, there is a cloister where you can have a traditional Thai massage for a very small payment.

How to get there: Bus routes 1, 3, 12, 25,44, 47, 53, 60, 82, 91, 501, 508
Open daily : 8.30 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Admission : 50 baht
Tel : 0 2222 1969 ; Thai Massage School : 0 2221 3686
Website : 

 Wat Ratchabophit
The temple is located on Fuang Nakhon Road near Wat Pho.  Built by King Rama V in 1869, it was in keeping with tradition that each monarch constructed a temple to mark his reign.  The temple is a mixture of local and western styles, showing an awakening interest in new ideas and a desire to experiment with them.  The exterior of the chapel is in the Thai style, but the interior is decorated in the European style.

Open : Daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2221 0904, 0 2222 3930

 Wat Ratchanatdaram
Located on Mahachai Road, the temple was built in the reign of King Rama III in 1846.  Loha Prasat, the temples main attraction, standing 36 metres high with 37 surrounding spires, is the only one of its kind left in the world.   Next to the temple is the area for welcoming an important foreign guest and a memorial statue of King Rama III.

Open : Daily from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. 
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2224 8807, 0 2225 5749

 Wat Ratchapradit Sathitmahasimaram
Situated to the north of Saran Rom Park, the temple is relatively small and covers a total area of approximately 2 rai. It was built in the reign of King Rama IV who intended it to be a temple in the Dhammayutika Sect as well as to be one of the 3 major temples as required by an old tradition to be situated within the capital. The place was originally a royal coffee plantation in the reign of King Rama III. With his personal donation, King Rama IV bought the plantation and had a small temple constructed there, naming it Wat Ratchapradit Sathitthammayutikaram. Later, he had the name changed to Wat Ratchapradit Sathitmahasimaram. A place of interest in this temple is Phra Wihan Luang - the royal image hall - which houses mural paintings depicting The Royal Ceremonies over 12 Months and legend of the solar eclipse phenomenon.

Open : Daily from 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2222 0855

 Wat Suthat and the Giant Swing 
A visit to Wat Suthat Thep Wararam, situated almost in the center of old Bangkok, gives you an opportunity to see both the Giant Swing and one of the first-class Royal temples. The surrounding area is also worth exploring as there are many shops selling religious items.

The building of the temple was commissioned by King Rama I, the founder of Bangkok, in 1807. Its location in the center of Rattanakosin Island. This was in keeping with the Buddhist belief that it is like Mount Phra Sumeru being the center of the universe. Phra Sri Sakayamunee, the principal Buddha image, was moved from Wat Mahathat in Sukhothai to be placed in Phra Wihan Luang in Wat Suthat in 1808.

Wat Suthat is surrounded by an impressive wall 1.94 metres high and 0.85 metres thick. There are a total of 15 doorways leading into the temple compound. Within the temple grounds the most important building is the Phra Wihan Luang which is the Royal Temple. The mural paintings, covering all the interior walls are some of the finest to be seen anywhere. Each has stone inscriptions describing the pictures.

Surrounding the Royal Temple is Phra Wihan Khot terrace which is really impressive with 156 Buddha statues, mostly in the seated meditative attitude called Smathi.

The chapel, Phra Ubosot at Wat Suthat is possibly the most beautiful in Thailand and is also the largest measuring 72.25 metres in length and 22.60 metres in width.

There are four pavilions (sala) within the compound that are elevated to the height of the temples walls. These are used for various royal functions and for viewing the previous functions at the Giant Swing in front of the temple.

The annual ceremony was held up until the 1930s but was discontinued to the high fatality rate as young men tried to swing high enough to grab a sack of gold on a pole about 25 metres in the air.

How to get there: Bus routes 12, 15, 42, 73, 96, 508
Open daily: 8.30 am. to 9.00 pm.
Admission fee: Baht 20
Contact: Tel: 02 224 9845

 Wat Thepthidaram
Located on Mahachai Road, the temple was built in the reign of King Rama III with a mixture of Chinese architectural styles.  Sunthon Phu, one of Thailand's greatest poets, had resided in this temple during his monkshood from 1840 - 1842. 

Open : Daily from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Admission : Free
Tel : 0 2222 5067